Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Stained Glass Applique

Today I finished a piece I'd started a long time ago.  This is a long wallhanging panel done in the stained glass technique.  The pattern was in Australian Patchwork and Quilting [Gina Burgess design].  From memory this was started in 2003.

Now that it's finished, I am so happy.  I still like it as much as the day I saw it in the magazine.  Much of the fabric I have dyed myself, the exception being the pale lemon [window], and maroon border pieces which are commercial fabrics, and the striking purple/orange window border, which is a Dianne Johnston hand dye.  

I had some difficulty deciding on a backing for this.  I knew I needed to quilt using black and maroon, so required a dark and busy piece in order for the quilting to be 'lost'.  I had a piece of Liberty I'd bought from a small swatch, but on it's arrival decided I would just not wear it for the blouse I had in mind at the time, and so it sat in my cupboard [since 1999!!].  It seems to work, and all I can say is why did it take me so long to have this on my wall.














Tonight I shall be doing the draw for the needlebook give-away.  Blogger has decided that it is not yet July 7, so it will be better to wait.  I will post the name as quickly as possible.

6 comments:

DIAN said...

Linda, this is a gorgeous piece of work. How amazing that it has taken you so long to complete. Will you enter it into a show? I think it would be a winner.

D'S THREADS DOWN SOUTH said...

Linda this is so pretty, I'm with you, why did you wait so long to finish it. You are very talented, you amaze me at your visions.

Iceni UK said...

Linda, I love your stained glass hanging. it is very beautiful.

Karyn said...

oh wow Linda, that is stunning. How long did it take to sew all the bias on?? What a shame it has sat in your cupboard for so long.

Linda said...

Hi Ladies. I am sure this piece took so long because life got in the way. Just after the initial fusing was done, we had to move house, then move house again after another 15 months, then we had two of the family married [I had all the wedding sewing], and to top it off, I broke my arm [long winded physio too]. Is that enough excuses for us..........LOL.........

Karyn, the bias was purchased ready made and fusible. Everything was fused before the stitching began [all machine]. If one was really sensible, this project need not take more than two to three days to complete, NOT seven years.

Dian, it was originally intended for competition, but I made two major blunders [pleased camera doesn't show them], and therefore, too proud to enter it anywhere!!!!

Katherine said...

This is beautiful! I love the effect and it looks wonderful on your wall. The colours are beautiful.