Monday, July 19, 2010

Scrap Quilt

I had to wash one of my quilts on the weekend, so decided I might share it with some of the ladies who visit my blog.

This scrap quilt was adapted from a pattern I saw in an American Quilting Magazine [dating back to pre-2000].  I love scrap quilts, and really should make another. The biggest drawback is that machine quilting for me is becoming too hard, and I refuse to have them quilted by someone else.  The original design had the blank areas quilted, but I had not long purchased a sewing machine with the embroidery unit, so decided to give it a really good try.  I had to hoop this up 247 times!!!!   It may have been easier to embroider the fabric prior to assembly, but to be honest, I didn't think about it until I was actually confronted with all of those blank squares.

Each of the machine embroidered motifs has been stitched with randomly coloured rayon threads for the flowers, and the same green throughout for the leaves/stems.  It is one of the prettiest quilts I've made, and I don't think I'd change a thing if I were to do it again.  The floral fabric used for the outer border is also the backing fabric.  This design is so simple, and it's just the off-set placement of each square that forms this zig-zag effect.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your scrappy quilt Linda. Very time poor at the moment so haven't achieved very much crafty wise. Its great to sit down and jump on here with cuppa in hand and have a catch up!

Radka said...

Oh, it is a beautiful quilt, Linda! It must had taken you ages.

DIAN said...

Linda that quilt is great. I love the use of the machine embroidered motifs.

fabriquefantastique said...

My favorite quilts are scrappy , and that one is a beaut.

michelle said...

Hi Linda, thanks for sharing such a wonderful quilt it really is beautiful ! i just bought a small brother embroidery machine today i am sure it will be a learning curve for me !

doreen said...

love the quilt Linda. I'm afraid I never got into quilting, my mom on the other hand as made many, given them to all my kids and their kids. i love them but have never attempted one.

Robin Mac said...

Oh, I love that scrappy quilt, but it does not tempt me to become a quilter! Much too hard as far as I am concerned, I would rather stick to free motion embroidery and mixed media - I know I am lazy, but I can admire others' work! cheers, Robin
PS I didn't realise it had been so many days since I checked out your blog. The wavy lines look interesting also.