I've taken on a few online commitments this year, as well as signing up for Dale's product of the month projects. The first [January] package arrived last week, and contained goodies to make a piece of silk paper 'in a jiffy'. The 'kit' included carded natural silk, some green spritz, and some silverleaf flakes. I was quite pleased with my first effort, although parts were a little thin, oh well.... I also tried to trap some silver Angelina fibres in with the silk paper, and I did not like to spray the whole area completely with the green - it looked far too strong for my liking!! After it was done, I realized I had enough to make a cover for an A5 index book.
Now, I'm also participating in the TAST2012 challenge with Sharon Boggon - week 4 being Cretan stitch. I decided I would work a small sample of each stitch as it came along, including it somehow in my binder. I will share the first page with readers next week, when I work out just how I wish to present the samples. Suffice to say, this little book cover was a quick project, incorporating the silk paper and some cretan stitch for added interest. I made some little crystal organza flowers for trim, as well as adding some silver lined clear beads in places. I have a friend who just loves anything green, and I hope to give it to her as a gift when I see her again.
This little piece was pleasant to do, and I am pleased I could use the two 'challenges' to work a useful little gift for someone.
The silk paper was fused to some dark green silk dupion prior to the embroidery, and then fused to black wool felt prior to stitching the flowers on. I lastly added some black wool felt end keepers to hold the book inside the folder. If I was to make this again, I would add pelmet vilene between the layers. I prefer a more rigid feel, and this is quite soft. Never mind, it was fun to experiment with something new. Hope readers enjoy the results of my play!!