Thursday, July 29, 2010

Paper Play Day

For some time now I've been reading about the ability to use brown paper in one's textile/mixed media adventures.  I haven't actually tried using it in anything involving textiles to date, but after playing with this great project, I'm up for a bit more with this.

Last week I downloaded an 'instant lesson' via Sue Blueweiss' site.  The project involved using old brown paper bags that had been used for store purchases.  You can see more information about the lesson here

Of course, my first effort is nothing as professional as the finish Sue accomplishes, but I'm thrilled to bits with what I've made.  I did only use what I had in the house, hence the colour scheme.  Somewhere at a weak moment I must have purchased a packet of pale blue rose metallic A4 card stock, so it was as good a start to the project I could find, plus I had some Sapphire Treasure Gold that I thought might make an excellent highlight to the roughed up surface of the paper.

I managed to find a suitable 'blue rose' image using Clip Art, so I could decorate each section of the book.  I can't recommend this lesson highly enough.  The purchase and download was over in an instant, and I was ready to get to work with something new and exciting.  I now have my very own journal ready to record my thoughts on future projects.  I will most certainly be exploring this further, using different colours/papers etc.

5 comments:

Frances Leate said...

It looks like an interesting technique and you certainly seem to have had a lot of fun - great result.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Jensters said...

Linda this looks great...you always seem to be doing something new and good....love it x

DIAN said...

Linda, it is really lovely. Another must try technique. thanks for the link.

Radka said...

Wow, that is what you call recycling! It is so beautiful! You always seem to come up with something unexpected!