Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wavy Weaving

Not long ago I was introduced to this technique - wavy weaving.  It's a simple process, but creates an interesting background.  I used black and white silk dupion for the weaving, then free machined with black/silver metallic Madeira thread.  I always wanted to make the trim a different colour to the background.  I found this rather 'loud' fluoro pink polyester organza in a little store, so thought it might work, as I had a rather glitzy hot pink metallic thread in my stash.  I fused two layers of organza with Gossamer Fuse [The Thread Studio], hooped it and made three little five- petalled flowers.  After cutting these free, they looked exactly what I wanted.  I knew I had some rather bright beads left over from something my daughter made a few years ago.  The metallic pink stitching gave it a bit more movement, but it just needed something else.  Thank goodness for feathers!!!!!  This ever so soft pink maribou gave it a party feel to me.  I have fallen in love with making these little pieces of 'art', but have to admit to taking far too long to achieve my goals.  There was enough of the weaving to cut two pieces for ATC's, but I might shelve them for a while so I can finish some other projects.

9 comments:

Robin Mac said...

Looks great Linda, I love the dyeing in your previous post too. I still need to do some experimenting with that. Cheers, Robin

Anonymous said...

This piece looks terrific. Thread Studio have some amazing things. Love the beautiful pic at the top of your Blog.

Karyn said...

I think that is really cleer Linda. And I simply love the pink flower you have made. It all looks so very pretty. I wanted to see a close up picture but it isn't letting me do it tonight. Oh well, it looks great.

DIAN said...

Linda, this one turned out really well. The colours are very jazzy and I love the wavy weaving.

Tracey said...

Hi Linda
I love this, it looks fantastic and I really like the colours you used. Did you learn this technique online or 'in the flesh'? Either way it is wonderful. Congratulations on another great piece.
Tracey

Robin Mac said...

Hi Linda, I thought I had left a comment yesterday, but Google isdoingfunny things these days. The wavy weaving looks fascinating, and I like the dyed fabric in the previous post. Cheers, Robin

JulietteCherry said...

This piece is really stunning. Your colour choice is fantastic.

Jensters said...

This is great Linda...love it....done something with the thing you have on the right off your page to do with facebook...lol xx

michelle said...

I love this looks like a cool technique i will be googleing this one ! Thanks for sharing !