Saturday, March 31, 2012

Art Journal Cover done!!





I've been fiddling and messing around with a piece of 'fabric paper' for ever so long.  It was just not telling me anything, but the last few days saw me finally put it all together to make a little slip cover for an A5 sketch book.  

It began as a piece of unryushi paper, fused to lutradur, rusted with steel wool/vinegar, then overpainted with some weak turquoise dye.  You can see the unryushi paper here.  I purchased it from Amazing Paper last year, and wish I had some more.  After the painting, I sprinkled some coarse sea salt over it.  Unfortunately, some of the salt seemed to be trapped within the fibres, and every time the weather was a little damp, well, that's what happened to my fabric/paper.  I think I may finally have managed to get it to dry out, but I've put a sealer over the finished cover, just in case.  This photograph shows it before I've added the stitching - you can also see below that the sealer has added some warmth to the colours.

Sadly, the warm glow isn't shown so well in the photographs.  The little specks of foil do shine, but it's really hard to get a good photograph.  This is the back of the cover.



I've added a little decoration to the front.  I simply hate picking up a covered book without something to identify the front!!  I've used real copper shim, forming a diamond, with a little window, added some metallic machine stitching, as well as some little copper metallic beads.  The copper shim has been stitched to the surface using an open machine zig-zag.  I felt I needed to cover the edges/points, as it is quite sharp if you touch it the wrong way.

Before attaching the shim, I distressed it a little, using a ball stylus.  This was sufficient to take that 'new' look away from it.  I used a little glue to keep it on the work while I stitched.


Lastly, I managed to find a piece of fabric in the stash, just enough to use for the inner sleeve/lining.  This was fused to pelmet vilene, the slip pockets added, and then the two pieces were stitched together using a very close wide machine satin stitch, in tan rayon thread.  It has a lovely feel about it too.  I'm really happy with it.  The design is simple, not overpowering, but enough to draw one's attention to it.   I've really enjoyed working with this, altering one surface so as to render it almost unrecognaizable.  I have been playing with these surfaces since purchasing the book 'Fabulous Surfaces', by Lynda Monk.  The purchase of this book was also followed up by some online lessons, further adding to the fun.  These were conducted free, via the site http://www.d4daisy.com/.  I can fully recommend the concept to anyone. 

Thank you as always for all your support.  Your comments are always welcome.

15 comments:

Jensters said...

Hey Linda you have done a really good job here, ive only ever done one piece of fabric paper...its always knowing what to do with it...and yours works wonderfully. Thanks for always leaving wonderful uplifting comments on my blog...have a great weekend xx

Anneliese said...

Hi Linda, This looks fabulous - it must be wonderful to hold it in ones hands. It looks so perfect that you could easily sell it. But then it is good to keep it.

Radka said...

Beautiful, Linda! You are such an inspiration :)

Robin Mac said...

That journal looks glorious, I am so glad the paper finally dried out enough for you to continue. The colour is lovely and the shim finishes it off to perfection. Cheers

Dianne said...

A lovely book cover, Linda. The copper decoration is fab. Would love to see and touch it for real!! I will explore this paper fabric thing now that I have seen your work. Thanks for showing us your processes.

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Very lovely creation and thanks for your tutorial. Paper fabric is very neat and you have done a super job of creating your journal page. Hugs Judy

Sandy said...

That's a great cover. The copped adds a lot.

N. Maria said...

I am very impressed! When I first saw the picture of the cover I thought, "Wow, what a beautiful leather cover".......it's paper?! Beautiful work, Linda....just beautiful.

fabriquefantastique said...

Something I have never tried, though I did do marbling once. Linda, I have not forgotten the wee knitting pattern I promised you.

michelle said...

LOve LOve Love it !!! i do believe i have some of that paper ! i am definitely ordering that book ! your stitching looks so precise and i just love the copper design and well i just love it all great job Linda !

DIAN said...

Oh Linda, this is really lovely. Not over done - perfect. thanks also for explaining how you created this gorgeous piece.

Thanks also for the lovely chat today.

Jen said...

Hello Linda,what a lovely book cover. I love the idea of the decoration on the front and the little beads frame it nicely. Very professional. You are really clever with the fabric paper.Something I have never known about till your explanations of this craft.

Karyn said...

Once again Linda I am in awe of your creativity and the things you manage to do. Your book cover looks lovely, I am sure you must be very pleased.

Wanda-Maria Roszak said...

Linda, your work of beauty, performance, I wish you great ideas!,
hugs .......

shirley said...

Linda you have a real talent for this sort of work, they are so creative. I would love to see you at work.