Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pushing some boundaries





Okay, I don't draw............ something which irks me no end, I can assure everyone of that.  However, lately I've been trying to extend myself, and think about sketching even if I just copy a line drawing.  The little sketch above is something I'm going to try to 'stitch' soon, although perhaps not quite as it appears.  The angel fish was drawn from a small coloured picture in my World Book encyclopedia, but the kelp is 'mine'.  

I then moved on to another image that I saved from Google.  This little fossil was again 'copied' [not traced].  It is fine doing this for simple things, but I still have a long way to go before I'll be depending on my sketching completely!!  Please forgive the paper, as I usually just grab anything the printer has 'mauled'...............  I don't think my sketching is worthy of a proper book at this stage.

I'm hoping to turn this little flower into an embroidery, possibly something bright, as I've been working with quite dark/gloomy colours lately.  I've just drawn this one, no copying, although I suppose at some point in time, given all the things we see on our internet surfing, something stays in our minds.


And lastly, I really like waterlilies, with this being my side-on interpretation.  I do have some nice B&W line drawings saved from Google, so I'll have another play with a more open view.  I purchased some drawing pencils lately, and have found it fun using the different depths.



On a personal level, I have to tell everyone I think I've finally regained my fitness level, after a few years in the wilderness.  I can now consistently walk my 6 kms each morning in 64 minutes, and I'm not puffed when I get home.  I've been gradually building back up to this level, but at different stages didn't think I'd make it.  About 15 years ago my GP told me anything over 5.5km/hour is excellent, especially for my age - and that was then - so I'm sure he would be delighted with this at my age NOW. 

Thank you again most sincerely to those who continually support my stitching/mixed media efforts.  Your comments help more than you know.  

It is a simply glorious day again today - a tad on the warm side out in the sun, but this morning early it was magnificent.  I love this time of the year.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

great sketch ideas and congrats on the fitness too.

DIAN said...

Wow Linda, these drawings are really good. You don't give yourself enough credit.
As for using scraps of paper - do yourself a favour and use proper sketching paper. You will find it helps to use good paper and pencils just as good fabric and threads bring out the best.

Congratulations on your walking. I do need to get fit again.

Jen said...

Hi! Linda Your drawings are a great,It just proves how talented you are being able to sketch when you are inspired by something you see.You need a sketch pad to carry with you.I used to paint but not anymore.
That is excellent walking like that each morning. It motivates me to get back on the exercise bike, I need to reach some form of fitness level

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Linda, WOW love your sketching. I look forward to seeing what they become with your lovely stitching. May I ask what 6KM are in miles and you walked all this way in about 1 hour. Amazing. Congratulation. You have encourage me to start walking my friend. Thanks I wish you had the most wonderful and sunny warm day. Hopefully soon. Hugs Judy

Frances Leate said...

Your sketching will make some beautiful embroideries and I can relate to your approach to drawing. You are making me feel guilty that I haven't walked my 6 km Esplanade walk for way too long and we obviously walk at a similar speed. Take care.

Radka said...

First, congratulations on your fitness! Oh dear, I should do something!!!!
Anyway, for someone who doesn't draw, your pictures are pretty good! I wish I could sketch....I think your way is a good way to start, I have all the tools :)
Our spring, which looked like summer, which went back to being spring, is now winter again :( It is going to be very cold Easter. Oh, how boring!

Robin Mac said...

Your drawing skills are very much better than you give yourself credit for, the embroideries should be lovely. I am in awe of your walking, just wish I could walk three kilometres - roll on 5th June! Gorgeous weather here too. cheers

Dianne said...

I love this time of year too Linda. Perfect weather!! By the way, your drawings are very worthy of a proper sketch book.... go buy one NOW. xxx

Karyn said...

Linda, for someone who can't draw you do a mighty fine impersonation of someone who can!! I think your drawings are wonderful. I also tend to use the reject printer paper with stuff on the front; what a waste not to I think. But I do think Dianne is right; get a sketchbook, they are cheap, and your drawing will be better for it.
well done on the walking; I have just started walking again but am not up to 6kms yet!

Stitching Lady said...

Hello Linda, Sooner or later we who don't know drawing want all to draw, I am also trying and there are quite some sketchbooks in different sizes everywhere in our house. One for the houses to be maybe bought (of course only one) one for quilting lines or similar stuff, one studio journal for nicer things and a small one to take with me. Very small indee. 4".And a daily journal........
I love your sektches .

Juliettecherry said...

I also think your drawings are good, especially like the waterlily, it will make a lovely embroidery. Well done on the walking, must have been very hard at times to keep it up and also make such good progress. You deserve a treat on reaching your goal (maybe something to do with drawing now?)

shirley said...

Linda, there is nothing wrong with your drawings, they are great. You have a good eye. I agree with Dianne go and get yourself a good sketchbook one that you can use one of your wonderful covers on. I of course love the pics of the fish and the shells. The floral pics are excellent. Keep this up. You are a very clever person and able to set you hand to anything.