Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Purple Bag





I thought I'd share this little bit of textile mania with readers.  This was made for an art exhibition at our local gallery [a few years ago].  There was no brief, other than a word, and my word was 'purple'.  This is a combination of fabrics/threads/beads/ribbons/buttons.  I had no basic pattern other than the idea for six segments, similar to how one would cut the skin of an orange.  

  I've given it the term 'Purple Lotus' because it makes me think of a flower that is closing and opening.  Each of the petal points has been adorned with beads - no rules, just stitch and bead!!  They are attached to the sides, to stop them pulling up.  This also helps act as a casing for the twisted thread drawstring.




This bag is made up of the six segments, three different treatments, two of each.  I've used snippets of braids, threads and trapped beads.  There is surface machine stitching, and couched cord.

Some of the segments have a small amount of simple hand stitching, and each boasts several layers, the final [outer] layer being transparent.  I've used fairly stiff net sandwiched between the layers in order to give it some body.

And of course, the lining is a lovely purple/shot blue dupion silk.  The firm covered circle in the bottom helps hide the necessary gathering stitches.  I've never used it!!  I don't wear purple much at all, so have never taken it to any sort of social function.  I can say that I had lots of fun exploring different options when I was making this, and got a good response to it at the exhibition.

This last photograph was taken to show the side of the bag, so I hope you can see that it has been sewn up with the seams exposed.  It's purely an 'art' piece, and I really can't repeat what my husband has to say about it.  Oh well.................  

Perhaps one day I'll make myself some long dazzling earrings, and a purple silk dress.  Then I'll have a reason to use the bag.  Oh, and I'll need some purple shoes...................    

13 comments:

Radka said...

Linda, it is beautiful!!!! One of my favourite colours! Who cares what your husband has to say about it, what do they know :))) This piece again shows how creative you are, where have you been hiding it? It is time to make that silk dress and long dazzling earings!
Any more treasures?

michelle said...

Linda i also love it, you have a wonderful eye for design and colour and it makes a wonderful statement as a piece of art ! although i agree with Radka get making that dress !!!!

WandarArt.Stitch said...

WOW, and how can you not be happy when I watch this beautiful, unique work of my friend Linda.
My words are always from the heart, Linda is the next beautiful, unique, beautiful decorated, beautiful color, creative and artistic work, / though my color is yellow-the color of the sun,
I lack the words of delight, as always, thank you that you share with us your great art. creativity,
Thank you, ...

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Such a beautiful bag. The fabric is lovely as is all the beads and threads you used to create it. You are such a creative talented person. Hugs Judy

Sandy said...

I absolutely love this-purple is great too.
Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's fun to see each other.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colour and textures. Who cares what husbands say LOL. SOme men just dont get stitching at all.

Jo Vandermey said...

Love the bag. Get a purple pair of shoes now and you can use the bag with jeans and a purple top and off you go.
I have enjoyed visiting your blog.
Jo (Creative Explorers)
PS what is the picture of the plants in your banner? Some kind of corn? I like your picture too!

Robin Mac said...

Of course the bag is beautiful and what do husbands know anyway? though I have to say mine is very responsive to most things I make! If you can't wear it, put it out on display as an ornament - a very special one. cheers

Anney said...

Oh,how unusual Linda..how lush are the colours and embellishment..have you used it yet I wonder and did you buy new shoes to match??xx

Soonymary said...

oh Linda how gorgeous and amzingly creative......love it! love seeing your work!

Jen said...

Linda !! You are so clever it is beautiful with the beadwork on the petals and the netting. It is beautifully decorated and the colour is perfect. Leave it out on show. Men don't take much notice of creative art. He probably won't even notice its there.haha

Wolfie said...

Hi Linda,
I wanted to say what wonderful stitching you are doing, and also that I have given you award:) You can check it out on my blog - www.ylvascraftycorner.blogspot.com if you want to:)

Hugs, Ylva

margaret said...

This is a lovely bag Linda, I would love to see the full outfit, right down to the purple shoes
The tip about the net to give it a good body is very useful, would never have thought of that, thanks