Sunday, February 13, 2011
The Giant Quilt
At last!!! I've finally finished the sampler quilt. My goodness, it's a giant, measuring approximately 95ins square. I had to use the step ladder to take this photograph, which still doesn't quite show all the quilt. Thank you all for the interest shown in the previous post, and this time I hope the finished result will please those who read my blog. The design layout for the quilt is mine, but of course, the blocks and applique are taken from various sources I have here. The curvy centre has been taken from a book I have by Joyce Schlotzhauer - Curves Unlimited [templates purchased with the book]. The applique is a design from a Quilters' Companion magazine, and many of the other blocks have been taken from the books Ultimate Book of Quilt Block Patterns [ Judy Martin], and Mariner's Compass Quilts [Judy Mathieson]. I did all the maths!!!
For the technically minded, just about every corner has been mitred, and the triangles used for setting the blocks on point have been cut so that the edges are on the straight grain of the fabric. I couldn't stand it if those were bias edges, too much give for my liking.
If I was asked which blocks were my favourites, I'd have to say that I particularly like two blocks. This one is from Judy Martin's book, and is called Carnival Ride. It has been foundation/paper pieced. I love star blocks, and star printed fabric [you think!!]. I've made this block a few times and it looks great in all colours and combinations.
The other block that I particularly like is this one. It's a complex block to piece, using partial seams, quite a challenge actually. I have to say that it was worth persisting with. The first one I made using the dark colour in the corner. When I saw it I realized that none of the other blocks were like that, so decided I'd go with three more of the same, and use them in the corners. I've taken a photograph of the block in progress, so perhaps you can see the partial piecing concept.
As I mentioned in my previous post, most of the fabrics came from my stash. The only fabric I purchased was the dark royal blue/navy for the very outer border. I had three metres of the beige with navy/maroon stars - purchased one day at a sell out. And, to complete the stash busting saga, even the fabric for the backing came from 'stock'. This was purchased almost fifteen years ago, for $2/metre. It's a very nice polished cotton, 150cm wide, and I bought what was left on the roll - 5 metres. I have to piece it for the backing, but that's not an issue really. The green in it is slightly different, but as it's a type of patchwork design, I thought it would work with the quilt. At least it's a second side that can be used for 'every day', and the 'good' side turned up for 'show'.............LOL......
So, there ends the patchwork saga for a while. Back to the blue hardanger........