I've finally finished my needlecase challenge for 2010. This month I decided to try another counted thread stitching technique that was relatively new to me. I have seen some references to this type of work, ie Hapsburg Lace stitching, but very few patterns. There are kits available on Tanja Berlin's Website, more of the 'sampler' kind, and on canvas. I set this design out in a quad ruled pad, roughly, and began stitching from the top right hand corner. I've used Lugana 25ct, and stitched with Finca Perlé #16. I hope this photograph gives you an indication of the overall pattern. The fabric I've used for the background is my inner lining, with hot pink wool felt for the needle pages.
There are only a few simple stitches for this technique - Smyrna stitch, round eyelet stitch, and a mosaic filling [which is essentially a double running stitch, slanted].
The raw edges have been turned under, corners mitred and finally I've stitched Antwerp edging stitch to finish the needlecase. The lining has been inserted in exactly the same way as November. I really like this technique, and feel I would do more in the future. Thank you again to everyone who has followed the progress of this challenge, and made the time to comment. I have not had a moment to catch up on my usual blogs, so please bear with me my friends. Cheers.