Monday, August 16, 2010

Sunprinting

Once again the ladies on 3CS organized an interesting experimental technique for us this month, well, in a day or so we'll be onto the next one!!!  However, this sunprinting was fun.  I'd never done any of it before, so welcomed the opportunity to play.  This piece was painted with a yellow/blue Setacolor mix, then masked with a thread doiley and some string.  I have to confess, I didn't really like the shade of green, but hoped I'd manage to camouflage that when the time came to use the created piece.

The first thing that came to mind was crystal fibre and black tulle, which I do think has worked to some degree.  By using my postcard 'window' I thought I could 'see' a flower lurking in the background, waiting to be enhanced by some stitching.   I am forever in need of dimension when doing these projects, can't make anything without just another layer.  After stitching the flower centre circle, it just needed a little bit more.  These little spidery 'centres' were created by stitching onto stretched, ie hooped Solvy.  I only actually used one of them, as the three looked far too bulky, even for me.  But, as with all of these experiemental pieces, the other two little green/black 'spiders' will go into the tomorrow jar and live to work another day.

And, now to the end result.  A few well chosen beads, yet another shade of green for the satin stitch edge, and here is a very green postcard with just a hint of a flower sitting quietly in the background........................




Thank you too ladies for your comments regarding my knitting.  I am only knitting for something to do at night.  I have lots of leftover balls of wool and thought some small items might help pass the time instead of nodding off to sleep in front of the TV.  I must find out where I can send these little things, perhaps a childrens' hospital might be able to use them.   We have a very active Ladies Auxilliary for our local hospital, so a quick phone call one day will point me in the right direction I'm sure.

6 comments:

Robin Mac said...

I love your sunprinting Linda, much more successful than mine - though I should probably have another go today when we have wonderful sunlight. Will you please email me as I have got confused as to which email address I should be using and I think I used the wrong one last time. It didn't bounce, but I suspect is still floating around in the ether somewhere. cheers, Robin

Jensters said...

Wow Linda what a great finished result and the green turned out just great....wonderful postcard....will have to check out your knitting later! x

Katherine said...

another great technique! I love the finished product - its gorgeous

Radka said...

Again, something totaly different, well done Linda! Your postcard looks beautiful. I am not a "green" person myself, but this works.

Anney said...

Oh crumbs Linda,there you go again,trying something new and producing beautiful items...you are amazing ,and by the way..I miss youer e-mails!!!
Anney

DIAN said...

Linda, I am not sure where I have been lately but have missed this post altogether.
My sun painting was a disaster - due to the fact that we have had a very dreary wet cold winter (I know we need the rain but I think you need it more).

I love the way you keep adding to a piece and follow your instincts. Those spidery flowers are really great. Must try that sometime. I do love greens - so many to choose from.