Saturday, August 7, 2010
I thought I would share some mystery quilts I have done over the years. This first one was from an Australian Patchwork & Quilting magazine. We were given only fabric requirements, and a little information on which fabrics might be used where, so I was buying a tad on the 'blind side'. Thankfully, yellow is a colour I really like, and this quilt turned out to my satisfaction. It was fun to work along with each month's magazine instalment, and I regret not buying enough fabric to make the quilt bigger. I machine quilted it myself on my Bernina, with the yellow area being stitched with all over stippling. The block used has been a favourite of mine for many years, but I didn't realize it was going to be so until the final assembly.
This pink/blue quilt is not finished as yet. I keep wondering if I should add another border with some applique to make it a little larger. I have a lot of the blue, and a plain, pale blue chambray fabric that goes very well with the quilt as a whole, so that might work for a second border [with applique], using the already used blue as the last border................... I didn't buy anything for this one, preferring to use fabrics I found in my stash. If I had my time over, I would not put the pink in the same place, as I feel it overwhelms the quilt.
On close inspection you can see the pattern resembles a log cabin with 'corners'. Again, it was a fun day out with my patchwork friends, but I'm a tad disenchanted with the PINK. We really don't need quilts here in SE Queensland, and most of the time my quilts are folded up in the cupboard.