Thursday, July 5, 2012

But wait.........there's more!





Are you sick of journals yet???  Well, I'm not.  I could make them in many ways, especially the ones where I actually sew in the pages.  This is a tale of two sketch journals, one large and one small.   I began this project as a result of signing up for an online class with Roben-Marie Smith [http://paperbagstudios.com/rms/shop/].  I have to admit to being very nonplussed about the whole concept in the beginning, and felt like binning it.  After lots of layers, days waiting for paint to dry properly, and then trying to make something from my efforts, well here it is.

In many ways I had to just wing it with the whole procedure, as we have limited download on our internet plan.  I found the video tutorials were simply too large, and therefore I didn't really watch the whole lesson's video content.  Those I did watch were very helpful, and Roben-Marie is a very friendly and helpful tutor.  This is the back of the first [large] sketch padfolio.

I didn't follow the construction to the letter of course, and added three 5-leaf folded signatures to the inside [pages measuring 7" x 11"].  I used sketch paper, which I decided to leave white.  The workshop instructions did say to add colour to the papers, but I have to admit it wasn't my thing.  I hope you can see the pages and hand stitching in this photograph.  The cover began as a piece of white cotton canvas.  

There was an additional strip remaining after the first cut, which I felt could be used to make a mini sketch padfolio - front view in this photograph.



The back view shows part of the flower that was drawn on in the final layer of layers..........LOL.  This flower was coloured using water soluble oil pastels, which I had not used prior to this project.  In fact, many of the techniques were new to me, so I feel I've learnt quite a bit with this class.

This small padfolio contains four 5-leaf signatures, making a total of 40 postcard sized pages.  This paper is very thick, beautiful to the touch, and has been made in Italy from recycled products.  The inside has been coloured with inks, and sprays in various colours.  

I have warmed to this along the way, but have to admit to calling it the 'graffiti thing' for quite some time.  I simply must get over having to have things all lined up and being there for a reason!!!  The covers are very sturdy, and have great tactile appeal.  I can't express how much fun it is learning new skills.  I adore the sewing in process in book making, although I fear my efforts are still a little on the amateur side.

Thank you as always for your comments.  They mean so much to me.

16 comments:

margaret said...

Oh Linda, you are so creative, such a lovely design on your journal, you mention water soluble oil pastels, these are new to me, water and oil together sounds interesting never would have thought they would work together but you have the proof they do.
Did this project take long, you say you had to wait for paint to dry etc but no doubt you found something creative to do whilst waiting.

Ella said...

Linda that is beautiful,you are always so busy and creative.I wouldn't know where to start.

DIAN said...

Linda, this has turned out so well. I know you have struggled with the process but it is a real success.

Katherine said...

I love seeing your journals etc. There are so many different ways of making journals and I like reading about the process too.

Sandy said...

Beautiful. I never tire of seeing what you make.

Vicki W said...

I think they are fabulous and I really love the little one.

Stitching Lady said...

LInda, this is so beautiful what you made. These are wonderful journals. The colours are so soft. Really lovely. I enjoy also to see the button, the green button. Lovely.

Radka said...

All I can say, Linda, is that it would be hard to choose. All your journals are wonderful, but all different:-)Interesting craft.

Robin Mac said...

I think I had better get started on mine soon, I am feeling a lot more inspired after seeing how beautifully yours has turned out. Cheers

shirley said...

Linda nothing you ever do is on the amateur side....all your work is totally professional in every way.

I just love this journal, you are going from strength to strength with your creativity.

N. Maria said...

There ain't nothin' amateur about your work.........everything you create has "your personal touch" and there aren't two alike. Love your work! ;)

WandarArt.Stitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juliettecherry said...

The journals are beautiful despite all the time it took to create them. Very well worth all the effort. As you say learning something new is uplifting and good for our brain. I do admire your patience, especially where paint and glue is concerned.

Jen said...

Linda your journals are always perfect.They are lovely. You are so clever how you create them and explain the stages of your art. I have never made a journal and wouldn,t know where to start. I will just keep enjoying yours.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your journals look terrific and I'm sure you are extremely happy with how they have turned out! I have yet to try making one but am hoping to be in a journal making class this fall if time permits.

Gina E. said...

I should forward the link to this post to one of my friends who is passionate about paper in all forms. She is always making little books and journals - she would love these!