I am not at all sure what is expected for the TAST2012 project. I have seen a number of sampler books being made, and I like the idea of keeping said samplers in one place. I have been planning a folder for my samples, but being the person I am, ie interested in various techniques and mediums, I was always going to incorporate hand and machine work, as well as mixed media. The outer shell is complete, as shown in the above photograph. Unfortunately, the glittery effect isn't being picked up by the camera. It is a little more on the green side, and quite sparkly, due to the use of Angelina fibres.
My folder began it's life as a brown paper shopping bag, very much like the one in this photograph, just a slightly deeper shape. In my Maggie Grey book, Raising the Surface, there is an interesting technique using brown paper.
After cutting the bag apart, I painted it with several different colours. I also painted some Vliesofix using the same paints. The painted paper was scrunched up several times, fused to a piece of calico, then fused to some pelmet vilene, and then black wool felt. The painted Vliesofix was fused to the painted side of the paper, but it all look a little bit blah. I decided to add some Angelina fibres in purple and gold, then place a black chiffon scarf over the whole surface. That seemed to lift it, yet tone it down. This photograph does show the green tones a little better. The piece was now beginning to feel quite firm.
After a few days looking at my rectangle of painted paper, I remembered I had some lovely fine green silk in the cupboard. This piece was just made for my painted paper. I would love to tell you I painted the paper to match the silk, but I didn't!!! I just happened to have the silk! I found some rayon and metallic threads that had possibilities. I didn't really think I needed to add too much to the surface, so a few wandering lines did the job. I ended up using only the two 'green' threads in the centre of the group.
I am hoping to make my stitch samplers into 'pages' which can be inserted into the folder via eyelet holes, with the aid of spring release rings. The folder 'spine' was made using just the silk fabric, as I felt the painted paper surface a little stiff, and prone to cracking with constant wear. I stitched a long strip of fabric along the centre of the 'spine', and then stitched across it to accommodate the rings.
I have to say that I am quite happy with this project. The size is slightly larger than an A4 page. It is sturdy, yet has a soft feel to it. In time I may need to add a button/gold elastic closure, but will wait to see how it all folds when the pages are in place. I have not made a 'logo/title' page, as I've yet to decide how I'll stitch my samples onto the appropriate size for this folder.