Thank you all for your kind comments on my last post. These make me feel that I have something to contribute, and hopefully will continue to do so. Getting back to the business of stitching, painting, and experimenting, yesterday I finally decided to try my hand at some more complex fabric weaving. I initially saw this weaving in an English Patchwork magazine. The instructions are rather scant, with small pictures for much of the guidance.
I initially cut some firm woven interfacing, marking the perimeter, and two lines across at 60° angles. I had no idea how much this project would take, so fused Vliesofix to three different fabrics, each around fat quarter size. The background fabric size was measured to fit an A5 notebook. The colours I used are a deep royal blue [almost to purple], a mottled cream/blue/mauve all over print, and a pale mauve. These were cut into ½" strips. Again, I had no idea really as to the size strips I would need, as this project was based around the use of those bias making gadgets, manufactured by Clover products.
The first step was to lay the strips top to bottom in their sequence, ie mauve, print, blue, repeating until they covered the background fabric. The second step, again keeping the sequence, was a series of over one, under two, which seemed to form this arrowhead pattern. I have not photographed the third step, as I really have to do another project to get my head around this. It is not for those who would wish to quit in a hurry, and takes some thinking. As I said, there were really no instructions for this hexagon, and I had great difficulty seeing how it was done by the pictures in the magazine [even with the use of my magnifier]. I suppose the moral of the story is to go and buy the book and stop being so lousy!!! I have not finished the bookcover off as yet, but will try to post it when I decide how it should be trimmed. I always like to put something on what will be the front of the book, less confusing in my opinion. This was fun, but challenging and time consuming. I love the colour combination though. The deep blue and mottled blue/mauve fabric was sent to me as part of a goodie bag challenge I've joined on the CB forum. The lady sent me so much lovely fabric, I'll be making 'goodies' until Christmas!!!