I keep telling myself that no matter what happens I must not waste my efforts. So, this little 'vessel' is the result of something that I felt had gone horribly wrong, but must not be wasted!!! Last week, I paid for and downloaded an interesting lesson from the website of Lynda Monk and Carol McFee. You can see the information here - http://www.fibreinform.com/Creativesurfaces.htm
I purchased some of the requirements, and proceeded as instructed. However, my painting, inking, bleaching, salting results weren't quite what I'd hoped for. I am not totally sure what I was hoping for, but for some reason, I just ended up with a blotchy, rusty piece of Lutradur, which I felt needed to be used.
Prior to stitching, I sprayed watered down gold drawing ink onto the surface, then added some gold and copper foiling. This was then covered with black tulle, and free machined with quite bunchy stitching on top [I used two different metallic threads through a #100 needle, with the setting on a narrow zig-zag]. I was trying to achieve the verdigris look............. Old gold metallic fabric was used for the lining [again covered with black tulle]. I added some additional beading after the stitching, using amber iridescent beads that I've had for almost twenty years. To enable me to bend over the pointed tops I sewed wireform between the layers, cutting it slightly smaller than each side piece. This worked really well.
I do hope the stitching and beading can be seen in these photographs. It's very hard to get the camera to recognize metallic elements in one's work. This was a very rewarding project in the end. I loved working with these rusty shades, and much of the fun was finding and using beads that I'd been saving for just this occasion!!
Some time ago I photographed a rusty wheel rim down at the shed, altered it a little in my photo program, and this served me well as a source of inspiration when working this piece.