Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lonely Vigil

Dian, I have tried to get photographs of the plover parents, but it has been nigh on impossible.  However, I did manage this 'far away' shot from the car window last Wednesday.  It's been zoomed quite a bit, but I think you will see the plover sitting all alone in the paddock on her nest.  This was taken the day before I noticed the chicks.  Now that the chicks have hatched, I don't see the family around.  Perhaps it's been too 'busy' for them, what with me, and the men driving around with farm equipment.............

Today will be busy with meat packing.  We are off later this morning to pick up some freshly butchered, home-grown pork, yum............  Can you all guess what is on the menu tonight.............LOL.....

6 comments:

DIAN said...

thanks Linda, I hope you enjoy the fresh meat. We used to buy our meat in bulk when hubby worked in the meat industry. Goodness we ate a lot of meat in those days.

Now of course I need to ask yet another question about the photo of the plover. What are the purple flowers? Are they a weed or a crop? They look pretty from here.

Anney said...

Oh Linda,you're making me hungry...I love pork,may we call in for dinner?
Anney xx

Anonymous said...

Lucky girl! If we had the room we would have a couple of Berkshires. Very yummy

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello From Michigan. I am back after a long absent. I can see I have missed heaps. Love the photo of the Plover! Very neat indeed. DID you enjoy the pork dinner. Sounded yummie to me. Hugs Judy

Linda said...

Judy, lovely to see you back in blogging land. We always enjoy pork!!

Dian, the purple flowers are a 'wild' version of Verbena. They are a semi woody weed and seem to have taken over in places where the herbicides don't hit!! It is not the same as that 'Salvation Jane' that is a pest in some areas. I have to pull it out of our lawn, after rain preferably.

Frances Leate said...

Thank you for your lovely comments and for visiting my blog. I love your photos of the birds and the vigil. Take care