Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dessert Anyone??





In a few weeks my patchwork group is having our annual Christmas luncheon to end the year, and begin the recess until the New Year.  We are making and taking our food again this year.  I have been thinking about taking something a little different, and decided to try my hand at this Ginger Wine & Lime Sorbet yesterday [just a trial in readiness for the real thing].  The recipe I used is in one of my oldish Womens' Weekly cookbooks, but I found a similar one here:  http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/cookingtips/780815/ginger-wine-and-lime-sorbet   I have made this before.  The recipe in this link has the ingredients in slightly different proportions, and to be honest, after tasting 'mine', I think the other would be nicer as it only uses ½cup of the ginger wine, whereas the recipe I used has 1½cups which I feel is just far too overpowering flavourwise.  I would also advise adding ¼ teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the sugar/water syrup.

I've put together a small collage of some of the steps used in the preparation of this very light and tangy dessert.  I have not been given the seal of approval from my husband to continue to serve this at home, and to be honest, it is not the most sensible thing to be taking out of one's freezer and expecting it to last a 60km journey in November!!  I also think I should have allowed the wine/water/juice mixture to freeze much more, as my mixture became extremely runny.  One thing I must mention.  I made a continued effort to fork the mixture through many times during the freezing process, as the 'liquid' seemed to continually seep to the bottom.  It is fine once the whole mixture freezes, but does sort of melt/liquify on you whilst enjoying your fruit/sorbet cocktail, damn!!

And, just one more photo showing the lovely fruit salad and sorbet - a dessert probably more suited to brunch on Melbourne Cup day morning.............LOL..........   The fruit salad is nothing more than diced pawpaw, banana, strawberries and whole blue berries, moistened slightly with a squeeze of orange juice.   Voila!!




7 comments:

shirley said...

This looks so yummy Linda, but I do agree would it travel in November.....you might need to transport it in a portable freezer.

DIAN said...

Linda, this does look like a gorgeous dessert. I only make "special" desserts if the grandkids are here with me.

Jenny said...

Yummo! A portable freezer would work I should think, but failing that, why not try an esky packed with ice blocks. Not the eating kind, but those made with plain water in ice-cream containers. Depends on how much freezer room you have of course.

Stitching Lady said...

A lovely recipe - can easily be tranformed into a lovely drink by taking it out of the house in November, big smile and cheers!

Radka said...

It looks yummy, Linda :)Sorry, I can't help with the logistics, it is not something I would need to worry about.
Although I must admit I am up for some nice warm soups at this end of the globe :))

Juliettecherry said...

Mmm I would just have to have a second helping of this!! Anne

Karyn said...

Melted or not, it looks yummy to me! Nice and light and a good summer dessert (assuming you sort out your transport issues).