Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Catching Up





I am very behind with my New Year wishes, but I will join my fellow Bloggers now in offering everyone my very sincere wish that 2013 will be a wonderful year.  We slept the New Year in this year, as hubby had a long day Monday, driving to pick up goods.  Our #1 son came over after lunch yesterday, hoping to do a spot of fishing.  I thought I'd share our dessert from last night.  The mixture of frozen/fresh/canned fruits on this pavlova and whipped cream was lovely - something I had to put together at short notice.   And now that the 'holidays' are behind us, I think we will settle down to more ordinary meals - enough of this naughty stuff!!

The fishermen had some success, landing these two Golden Perch, which made the perfect breakfast this morning.  What a nice way to start the day, naturally gathered food, home cooked!!!


Moving on from food, I have to share yet another knitting project, still can't get enough of my knitting at the moment.  I am not too sure this photograph shows the colour properly.  It is 100% merino 2 ply, Touch Yarns, and it came from http://www.pickupstitches.com.au/ in Victoria.  I found it beautiful to knit, and block.

I think this photograph shows it's colour a little more accurately.  It has so many different shades of red/pink, but the first thing you think of when you see it is ruby red lipstick, Hollywood style - well I do!!


The pattern I've used [Fragile Heart] is available via Ravelry.  These patterns are proving to be my downfall, ie I can't stop at just one.  You can see the information here.  Wearing these in a cowl effect is quite becoming in my opinion.  I've used 4mm, 4.5mm, and 5mm needles to achieve the open patterning.

Hopefully this photograph will give you an indication of the actual size of the shawl.  It was necessary to block it lengthways on a spare double bed, so you can see that it is quite elongated.  I've used #8 triangle beads, cherry lined clear.  In some photos you can't seem them, but they really catch the light as you move around the shawl.  I think I prefer my beaded knits to be like this, ie beading there, but not overpowering the piece.  I am also totally in love with the picot bind off.  If you have the urge to try some lace knitting, but are not confident of your ability, I can assure you all the patterns in this range are easy to follow - lots of glamour with a minimum of fuss.

Thank you to all for your support of my blog.  I am trying to post a little more regularly, so please bear with me in 2013.  We have had a small but useful fall of rain, but I think the weather this week will be quite hot. 

19 comments:

margaret said...

Linda what a beautiful shawl I have never seen anything like this before, must have taken a while to knit being such fine wool.Find I can no longer knit due to pain in the fingers, old age catching up with me but crochet and needle tatting seem to be okay.

That pavlova made my mouth water can see you all enjoying that and fresh fish for breakfast you are spoilt!!

Penny said...

Ilove that shaw, I dont think I would have the patience to knit it.
Love the pav.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Linda, Your cake looked very very grand and yummy.

The fish looked like a great meal but I do have to say I have never had fish for breakfast. vbg

Your knitting is truly lovely. Beautiful work indeed and I would say the color is lipstick red too. I wish you and your family a Very Very Happy and Healthy New Year. Hugs Judy

Frances Leate said...

Absolutely gorgeous Linda and so beautifully and evenly knitted in such a great colour. Looking at this shawl makes me want to take up knitting again. Happy New Year.

Juliettecherry said...

Just gorgeous, both desert and shawl. I know how much you enjoy making the shawls and they are so lovely. Having just completed my baby shawl, I was puzzled about where to pin it out, the bed looks like about the best place. Anyway, it is acrylic, so I just steamed it. Pleased it is finished at last.

Robin Mac said...

Gorgeous shawl Linda. Love the pav too, but all getting too rich for me at present. You an keep the yellow belly though, I am not a lover of those fish. Happy New Year to you too. Cheers

Dianne said...

The pav looks mouth watering, Linda. Lovely fine work on the shawl.

WandarArt.Stitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WandarArt.Stitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anney said...

Happy new Year very dear friend...goodness what a yummy looking dessert,my word you are a domestic goddess..i couldn't have just put that together at short notice!!
Oh my,what gorgeous yarn the merino 2 ply is...so fine to work with...i'm just completing a 4ply cotton dress for a 2yr old,i'm pleased to have finished it as i've been at it for ages..i either don't have the energy after work or i'm distracted by something else...you know how it is??
Am glad you are still blogging even if you don't feel inspired..whatever you write we all love reading!!
Anney xxx

Radka said...

Sorry to get here so late, Linda. Wow, another beautiful work from you.
The colours are wonderful and you managed to find another lovely pattern for it.
I wish you a wonderful 2013, lots of new projects(and the time to make them)!

Jensters said...

That pud looks lovely Linda....your so into knitting now then.....loving the colour.

shirley said...

Your pav would have tasted as delicious as it looks...one of my favourite desserts.
I love the colour in this shawl Linda, it is striking.
Hope you are all not suffering too much with the heat out there, or from any bushfires in your vicinity.

DIAN said...

Linda, I am most remiss lately. Not reading or blogging. Love the pav.
The shawl is gorgeous. The colour is fabulous and the beads are so pretty.

I am hoping we can chat sometime during the week. the weather is much cooler here. I hope you will not have too much extreme weather.

WandarArt.Stitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karyn said...

Mmmmm, that pav looks yummy!!! The shawl looks beautiful too. Ravelry is my downfall too - too many beautiful patterns and not enough time

Unknown said...

The pavlova looks really nice

FAZENDO ARTE said...

Lindo seu blog...
abraço
Venha me visitar
Leila

WandarArt.Stitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.