I know I've been slow lately, but I finally have something new to offer. This rather shocking pink book cover just evolved. I had this lovely fine silk, hot pink/shot soft orange, can't remember how I 'acquired' it. One day quite some time ago, I laid it over a piece of wire grid and rubbed it with gold Shiva stick. I think the oil from the stick bled into the silk, so I felt despondent and just put it aside. I'd only coloured a small area, so I cut that section out, really didn't know what to do with it, so I simply gathered it into a ruched circle, and picked at the edge until it looked wispy - it seemed to resemble a flower, but looked lonely sitting on the silk, so I decided to texture the background a little with some pink and metallic gold stitching. I know I can't leave well enough alone, and perhaps I should have stopped long before this, but it is what it is. And, yes, the shocking pink button with the gold centre was in my button drawer...LOL.
I hope this close up will show the flower, the beading, the stitching and foiling, etc. Again, beads, braid and threads were part of my 'collection'.
|Book cover open to see textured stitching and foiling|
As I've made more and more of these removable covers, I've strived to perfect my lining techniques. I have put together this collage, and hope I can explain the process. This only works well [in my opinion] if you have fabric that has a similar right and wrong side. I've used plain polycotton. The open cover measures 34cms wide by 23cms high. I cut the lining lengthwise with enough allowance to make several folds, marked the centre [photo top left], measured out 17cms from either side of centre [top right], pressed the folds in - remembering that I needed a sleeve to insert the cover into. I then measured out another 10cms [bottom left], and pressed another fold, and then finally another fold [bottom centre]. The bottom right photo shows the 'sleeve' as it appeared prior to fusing and stitching to the outer cover. I didn't neaten that final/inside edge, as I thought a line of stitching might spoil the end product, and to be honest, was probably totally unnecessary. When all the pressing and folding was complete, I applied a piece of Heat 'n Bond, and then fused this lining to the outer embroidered piece, neatening off all round with a row of very wide machine satin stitching. If you click on the collage you should be able to see more detail.
I hope by sharing some of my methods, I may be of some help to those who like to find better ways to achieve a neat finish. I had to hold the cover up in my hand to complete the fusing, as I didn't like to scrunch the flower in the process.